- Purpose of the qualifying examination is to examine the students academic capability for PhD degree.
2. Examination Period and Eligibility
- Qualifying examination is generally given twice a year (third Friday of June and January).
- Students in PhD program must pass the exam within 4 semesters after entering the program.
- Students in combined program must pass the exam within 3 semesters after entering graduate school.
3. Course Selection for Examination
- Application for Qualifying Examination is to be filled out with 5 courses selected under his/her supervisor's advice and to be submitted to the department office with the approval from the chair of the department.
- Submission periods for the application are the third weeks of May and December.
- No more than one course for one professor is allowed and the course in other department is not allowed.
4. Setting and Evaluation of Examination
- Written examination for each course is to be set up by the corresponding professors and it could be Open Book or Closed Book as decided by each professor.
※ Examination length is about 75 minutes.
- Examination is held under supervision of graduate officer of the department.
- Result of the examination is to be submitted by the corresponding professors to the graduate officer of the department in the written form.
- Status of 'Pass' and 'Fail' is given for each course taken. When 3 or more course receives 'Fail', the whole examination is considered 'Fail'.
- Students who did not pass the whole qualifying examination can apply for the re-examination once more. Failed courses can be tested individually but the course selected for examination can not be changed.
6. Other Information
- Exception to the information written above can be decided with the approval of the chair of the department.